Powering the retail and distribution market
Retailers and distributors need to improve margins, protect customer experiences, boost reputation and increase competitiveness.
Retail and distributors work in a market with tight margins, where customer experience is crucial and agility essential. To compete, it is necessary to have the right energy strategy and an energy partner with the expertise and innovative solutions to solve key challenges – helping to maximize operational efficiency, improve resilience and deliver a sustainable future.
The pressures squeezing retailers and distributors
The demands retailers and distributors face have never been greater. Intense competition and rising input costs squeeze margins right across the retail sector. Staying in profit is a major challenge – you need to drive down costs. But at the same time, you need to deliver a positive customer experience. What’s more, your operation is increasingly dependent on technology – downtime means disastrous impact on customer satisfaction and loyalty, so resilience is essential. Customers also expect retailers to demonstrate a genuine commitment to sustainability.
What role does energy have to play?
We are the US’s leading energy supplier. Nobody understands the current energy challenges facing the retail and distribution sector as we do. We know the facts:
- With energy costs a big proportion of overhead and forecasted to rise, retailers and distributors must improve energy efficiency and reduce costs to improve narrow margins
- Downtime from system outages means lost sales, money and poor customer satisfaction. For the grocery cold chain, failure of refrigeration equipment can mean disaster – you need a proactive maintenance system to ensure the continuous productivity of equipment
- Consumer demand for sustainable and ethical practices means you must have strong ‘green credentials’
- Inefficient technologies across geographically-dispersed stores leads to energy waste, impacting your organization’s resilience and carbon footprint – a reliable and flexible supply is necessary to ensure you can deliver an optimal environment at all times
- Retailers and distributors must be able demonstrate adherence to increasingly tight environmental and food safety regulations – or risk severe penalties for non-compliance