The top 5 reasons for going solar
From electricity savings to improving sustainability goals, there are countless reasons to go solar.
When we asked our customers why they chose to lead the charge in sustainability with their businesses in their community by installing solar at their facilities, certain patterns emerged. Below are 5 of the most popular motives we’ve received.
1. Save money on electricity costs
Regardless of how you decide to finance your solar installation, you could enjoy instant bill savings—which help your bottom line. And you will continue to save over the lifetime of your system. In fact, your monthly savings are very likely to grow larger with time. As utility rates increase, your solar panels protect you from unpredictable energy prices and supplies.
2. Boost sustainability efforts
Solar helps improve your sustainability goals because you are generating your own power onsite as opposed to pulling electricity from the utility grid. Generating your own power using a 100% renewable resource is not only the right thing to do financially, but socially as well. With solar installed at your facility, you can reduce your carbon footprint and help the environment. This is because solar PV technology doesn’t emit C02 and other harmful greenhouse gases—it is a natural and sustainable resource.
3. Generate a revenue stream
With solar installed at your facility, it’s possible to monetize your clean electricity. Below are just some of the most popular ways that our customers turn sunshine into an additional revenue stream for their businesses:
- Solar Renewable Energy Credits (SRECs). You can accumulate green credits that you then swap, buy, or sell on the open SREC market.
- Net Metering. Available in many states, net metering is a special solar incentive that allows you to feed excess electricity into the grid in exchange for utility credits. With enough credits, it’s possible to receive negative electricity bills.
- Feed-in Tariffs. A feed-in tariff is similar to net metering, but instead of receiving utility credits, you receive actual cash. This program is only available in certain states.
4. Resilience with solar energy storage
Many of our customers have combined solar with storage. Combining solar with storage results in an integrated solution that helps reduce spend for both energy (kWh used) and demand (kW usage). This adds even more flexibility by reducing spend during expensive peak hours—further reducing reliance on the utility grid and reducing peak demand charges. You also benefit from more predictable pricing.
5. Local Green Jobs
Make your community stronger by creating local green jobs that can’t be outsourced. That’s because solar technology requires local teams of solar professionals who are physically present onsite. Check out some of these impressive statistics from The Solar Foundation, reflecting America’s transition to a sun-powered economy:
- 250,271 Americans work in the solar industry as of 2017.
- The solar workforce has increased by 168% since 2010.
- Between 2012 and 2017, one in every 100 new jobs was a solar job.
It’s important to note that this growth happened during a global recession when most other industries were downsizing.
Looking for More Reasons to Go Solar?
In an article of this length, it isn’t possible to cover every single reason to go solar. While we’ve selected the five most popular reasons to include in this article, our customers have shared a wide variety of motives with our team.
If you’re looking for additional reasons to go solar today, contact us for a no-cost solar evaluation. Our expert team of solar professionals is more than happy to discuss the countless advantages of this clean, affordable, and sustainable technology for your business.